The monthly general meeting of the Miami Area Society of Homebrewers was called to order at 7:30 PM at M.I.A. Brewing Company on January 28, 2016 by Jorge Molina.
- Several new members were in attendance. Please reach out with any questions regarding meetings and upcoming events.
- The 2016 Mash Officers are:
Jorge Molina (President), Matt Waldron (Vice President), David Kirsten (Treasurer), Dan Barrett (Librarian), Daniel Kinard (Secretary)
II. Review of Previous Minutes
III. Treasure’s Report
We’ve got lots of Money! Coconut Cup has been a filled the coffers.
IV. Old Business
- Membership dues – 2016 dues should be paid at this point.
- Coconut Cup.
- Bottle Sorting Day
Sunday January 31st at Bob Billany’s house. People are needed, so come help!
- Coconut Cup Pre-judging
No experience needed, and this is a great learning experience. Try new beer, learn about BJCP styles. Sign up on Reggie Beer – Coconut Cup – Judging and Stewarding. Or reach out to Bob. Dates start Feb. 06, and help is needed!
- Final judging will be February 26 and 27th at the American Legion Hall, South Miami. Award Ceremony will be held on the 27th, once judging is concluded.
- Pub Crawl! Friday night, February 26th,
- Bus departs from American Legion of South Miami.
- Destination: Concrete Beach Brewery, Wynwood Brewery, and Jonathon Wakefield Brewery.
- Tickets will be available for this soon, so be on the lookout, and come enjoy the local brewery scene!
- Keg Competition
- February 27th at American Legion, full or partial kegs are fine
- Email MASH ahead of time to ensure tap and CO2 for keg.
- Kegs will be judged by popular vote.
- Winner gets a custom tap handle, made by Dan Barrett!
V. New Business
- Miami Beer Fest
- Meeting 2:00 p.m. Saturday January 30th at Matt Waldron’s house.
- The event is 5-9 p.m. at Miami Marlin Stadium.
- Anyone interested in coming to help can meet at Matt’s and gain entry. Anyone with a keg of homebrew to spare will be reimbursed by Miami Beer Fest. Contact Matt or Dan Barrett ahead of time if planning to come help.
- Upcoming Competitions
- Reggie Beer has competitions listed. http://reggiebeer.com/ReggieLogin.php
- Members are reimbursed for up to 2 entries in all Florida Beer Circuit competitions. These are:
- Coconut Cup
- Hurricane Blow off
- National Homebrew Competition
- Hogtown Brew-off
- Sunshine Challenge
- First Coast Cup
- Commander SAAZ
- Best Florida Beer
- Points towards BOTY are also given for beers that place in any BJCP sanctioned competition.
- BOTY will now have a first place coaster for each month’s competition. These are glass tile coasters, themed for each month’s competition and hand made by MASH’s Elayne Bryan.
- This month’s category was Porter. There were 8 entries.
The results are:
- 1st Place – Daniel Kinard (Baltic Porter)
- 2nd Place – Bob and Dave (English Porter)
- 3rd Place – Michael Moussa (American Porter)
VI. Miscellaneous Good News
- Biscayne Home Brew has offered a 10% discount to MASH members. Thanks!
VII. Time/Place of Next Meeting:
Thursday, February 25, 2015 @ 7:00 p.m.
M.I.A. Brewing Co. 10400 NW 33 Street #150 Doral, Florida 33172