Meeting Minutes – August 22, 2013
Meeting was called to order at 7:25 p.m. Four officers were in attendance.
New Member Introductions – Three guests, Felix Alvarez, Patrick Flint and Aaron Pickett
European Amber Lagers – Presented by Tony Hernandez
– Bob reported $2,488.15 bank balance plus $900.46 in Paypal account. ($3,388.61)
– Treasurer will compile a list of paid members for next month’s meeting.
– CASK – First Coast Cup (Jacksonville)
- MASH takes 6th place
- MASH Medalists:
- Dan Barrett – Silver (Light Hybrid) “Summer Citra” American Wheat
- Ryan Lapete – Bronze (Sour Ales) Berliner Weisse
- Danny Argudin – Gold (Smoke & Wood Aged) “Revenge of the Closet Monster”
- Dave & Bob – Gold (English Brown) Northern / Silver (Specialty) “Nuttin Honey”
– Commander Saaz (Melbourne)
- Entry window closed
- Entry Fee Reimbursement – ONLY PAID MEMBERS.
- Final Judging & Awards Ceremony – Saturday, 9/14
- Webcast watch party – TBD
– Sunshine Challenge (Orlando) – November 1-2, 2013
- Last competition in 2013 Florida Circuit
- Registration Opens September 1st
- Entry Deadline – October 6
Need to develop BOTY list for 2014
BJCP Tasting Exam
– Bob & Danny sat for BJCP Tasting Exam at National Conference in Philadelphia this past June. Results expected shortly.
– When they are certified, the club will have 7 BJCP judges!
– MASH will be hosting a BJCP Tasting Exam in July 2015 to be administered by Scott Graham (National) – MASH has twelve spots.
– Explain BJCP process (Online Exam followed by Tasting)
MASH Brochures / Flyers – This item will be held over to next meeting
– Need to get the word out.
– Miami Beer & Wine has received inquiries from customers.
– Any volunteers to update the existing brochure? (Denise Graham)
Winter Solstice Party
– Stick with Pot Luck at member’s home . . . or
– Informal EOY luncheon at commercial site (hall, restaurant, brewery)?
– Date? Suggested: Saturday, December 14th
Daddy Brews – Had a soft opening and will have a grand opening some time in September.
Sexy Llama Brewing will be featured at WOB- Kendall 9/3 @ 6 p.m. Danny Argudin is the brewer
Grovetoberfest – October 19th
– Homebrew Competition – Check website, they want 15 gallons of each entry.
– Homebrew Pavilion – Tickets cost $40 advanced, $45 at gate and $90 VIP.
National Learn to Brew Day – November 2nd (Register an Event?) – Yes we will register a event to be held at Daddy Brews.
AHA Survey – Members please complete the survey online.
Next Meeting – Daddy Brews? – The meeting will be at Daddy Brews
The American Legion would like to hold an Oktoberfest. They are looking for beer donations and volunteers.
– More feedback to entrants? Need to use the quick judging forms that Denise has developed.
– Check the website. Plan your brewing schedule.
Next 3 Months:
– September: German Wheat & Rye
– October: India Pale Ale (IPA)
– November: Ciders
Tonight we had two entries – both submitted by Bob and Dave.
1. Oktoberfest (First Place)
2. Vienna Lager (Second Place)
WE NEED MORE ENTRIES!