Meeting Minutes – February 2015
Miami Area Society of Homebrewers
Minutes of the Monthly General Meeting
February 26, 2015
The monthly general meeting of the Miami Area Society of Homebrewers was called to order at 7:06 PM at Daddy Brews on January 22, 2015 by Bob Billany.
A few members of the Upper Keys Brewers were in attendance.
I. Review of Previous Minutes
Reading of the minutes of the previous meeting was waived.
II. Treasurer’s Report
We’ve got money in the bank!
III. Old Business
1. Coconut Cup
- Final judging to be held at the American Legion Post in South Miami on March 6-7. There are still many beers to evaluate. We need assistance judging. Please be there.
- Final pre-judging sessions at Bob Billany’s home on 2/27 and 2/28.
- Last call for entries in the Keg Competition. Registration form is on our website.
- Pub Crawl has been scheduled on Friday, 3/6
- $25 per person (cash only)
- Will be visiting Wynwood Brewery & MIA Brewing
- Bus departs @ 6:00 p.m. Please arrive by 5:30 p.m.
- There will be beer available on the bus
- Raffle to be held @ Awards Ceremony on 3/7. Expect lots of great schwag!
2. Membership Dues
Members were reminded (again) that annual dues for 2015 are past due.
III. New Business
1. Upcoming Competitions
Entry window for the Hurricane Blowoff (West Palm Beach) opens tomorrow. The number of entries will be capped at 500. Entries can be dropped off at Coconut Cup.
2. Beer Festivals
Veritage Miami -United Way Event at Wynwood Walls on April 15th. Looking for volunteers to brew/serve beer at the event. Please contact Jorge Fors for additional information and to RSVP.
3. Education Session
Bob Billany spoke about this month’s BotY Category, Amber Hybrid Beers, focusing on the California Common style. Anchor Steam was distributed as a commercial Example.
4. Brewer of the Year (BotY)
The BotY style for January was Amber Hybrid. 6 entries were received. The winners were . . .
First Place: Jorge “Mo” Molina (California Common)
Second Place: Matt Waldron (Dusseldorf Alt)
Third Place: Dave Kirsten & Bob Billany (California Common)
The BotY style for March will be English Pale Ales.
IV. Time of Next Meeting
The next Board meeting will be held at 7:45 PM on Monday, March 23, 2015. Location: TBD
The next regular club meeting will be held at 7:00 PM on Thursday, March 26, 2015 at:
4427 SW 74th Avenue
Miami, Florida 33155
Minutes submitted by: David Kirsten, Secretary
Minutes approved by: Bob Billany, President