Meeting Minutes – January 24, 2013
- We have $2,298.72 in the account.
- Bob and Darryl are signers on the bank account. It was decided there is no need to change.
- The president has asked the treasurer to give an accounting of deposits and expenditures for the purpose of creating a budget.
New website is up and operational.
Beer festival at Marlins Park
- Thanks to everyone who participated and came out.
- Josh’s Coffee Milk Stout was a great hit.
- Some good contacts were made with other participants.
- The banner has been created and is operational
Jupiter Beer Festival – check website for details
Best Florida Beer Championship
- Entry window closes February 2nd. Main judging date is February 23rd.
National Homebrew Competition
- Entry window opens February 26th.
- Entries to be received at registered location between March 18-27.
- Two bottles required for first round.
- Club can pay for shipment of entries.
Key Largo competition
- First week of April? Jon will follow up with more information.
- Entry window open now until February 15th.
- Main judging date March 2nd at American Legion
- Entry organizing session: February 16th at Jon’s house (time TBA)
- First judging session: February 17th at Jon’s house (time TBA)
- Additional judging date: March 1st at 12:00 pm (American Legion)
- Need additional weekday judging session. Bob Billany will send out email.
- Cases boxes are needed. Contact Jon if you can deliver some.
- Bob and Dave are working on sponsors.
- We need kegs for the main competition day. Please contact Bob Billany if you can bring a keg or two.
National Homebrewers Conference
- Philadelphia, June 27-29
- Registration opens February 5th. Register for conference and hotel on the 5th if possible. Conference will sell out quickly.
- The company that we got shirts from no longer has our artwork on file. They can digitize our artwork for $60.
- Suggested to keep the palm tree logo for polos and guzzler for t-shirts.
- Suggested to have a simpler logo (mash paddle and club name?) embroidered on guayaberas.
- Bob Billany will check on another possible company.
Upcoming Calendar Events
- Proposed summer solstice party date: Saturday, June 22nd. Location needed.
- Proposed to move the November meeting date to the third Thursday of the month due to Thanksgiving.
- Proposed winter solstice party date: December 14th. Location needed.
- Members are asked to complete a directory information form.
- Directory information will be placed on a password-encoded section of the MASH website.
- The February meeting will be held at the American Legion.
Club Jockey Box
- Bob Billany proposed the construction of a club jockey box for use at festivals and other group gatherings. Construction was approved.
- Procedural guidelines will need to be created.
- Who will be responsible for maintenance, storage and transportation?
- How can we manage fair and equitable beer supply for events?
- How will reimbursement be handled for beer donations?
- Danny A. passed the initial part of the BJCP exam. Congratulations, Danny!
- Scott will look into the possibility of applying to host a BJCP tasting exam.
- Danny, Dave and Bob are on the list to take the tasting exam at the NHC in Philadelphia.
- Now that we have a quieter meeting venue, it was proposed to add an educational component to the BotY competition.
- Two possibilities were suggested:
- The winner of the BotY will be responsible for discussing the next BotY style at the next meeting.
- Circulate a sign-up sheet and let members choose which subject they would like to present.
- Bob Billany will send an email requesting feedback.
Brewer of the Year
Upcoming BotY styles:
- February: Barleywine (English or American) (club only)
- March: Extract (club only)
- April: Pale Ale (English or American)
- Style was Stout
- Four beers were entered: two oatmeal stouts, one milk stout and one chocolate milk stout
- 1st place: Bob and Dave for an oatmeal stout
- 2nd place: Danny A. for a milk stout
- 3rd place: Jon for an oatmeal stout
- Danny A. gets a point for entering a chocolate milk stout