Becoming a beer judge is perhaps the best way for an established homebrewer to learn more about beer and become a better brewer. Judging beer will:
- Help you better understand and identify the flavors and aromas found in beer
- Help you better understand brewing ingredients and processes and their effects on the finished beer.
- Greatly improve your understanding of beer styles.
- Give you an opportunity to share knowledge and discuss beer with other judges.
- Allow you to help your fellow homebrewers improve their beers.
Membership in MASH provides the opportunity to gain valuable experience alongside our BJCP certified judges. We encourage all members to pursue certification.
The purpose of the Beer Judge Certification Program is to promote beer literacy and the appreciation of real beer, and to recognize beer tasting and evaluation skills. The BJCP certifies and ranks beer judges through an examination and monitoring process. The BJCP was founded in 1985 and has administered the Beer Judge Examination to 12,000 individuals worldwide.
The American Homebrewers Association (AHA) educates homebrewers, and protects and promotes one of the coolest hobbies in the world—homebrewing!
- Founded 1978 by homebrew author and Brewers Association President Charlie Papazian in Boulder, Colorado
- More than 46,000 members
- Advocates for homebrewers’ rights in the United States
- Governed by a committee of homebrewers
- Hosts the world’s largest homebrew competition
- Publishers of Zymurgy magazine
- Division of the Brewers Association, a not-for-profit trade association dedicated to promoting and protecting amateur and professional craft brewers.
Master Brewer Academy (MBA) is a Miami-based professional brewer training program. It offers various programs, from intensive 2 week short courses, nights & weekends programs, and even a week-long study abroad in Germany / Czech Republic. Recent graduates are winning medals in national homebrew competitions and are working in Florida breweries such as Concrete Beach, MIA Beer Co, and Veza Sur – to name a few. When you’re ready to take your brewing to the next level, or want to get your foot in the door in the craft beer community in South Florida – check them out: masterbreweracademy.com; or call Todd at 305.205.9983.